Sunday 27 March 2011

Toddler Learning Sounds in The Kitchen


I care for twenty months old Sara once a week.  It was a morning.  I played with Sara for some time.  I could not play with her the whole time.  I had to cook lunch for my children and Sara.  I didn't like to leave Sara alone in the visiting room.  So I asked to her to come in the kitchen with me.  I was busy with cooking.  but not with closed mouth.  I had a good conversation with Sara.  Sara found my kitchen very interesting.  She way busy with exploring the kitchen.  I was so particular about the dangerous things like knives and glasses.  I always keep them in the upper cupboards.
Suddenly Sara wanted to take a metal lid of a small pot, which was on the table.  As she is not tall enough to take it easily, the metal lid fall on the kitchen flour with a big noise.  Sara found the noise very interesting.    She took the lid and let it fell again and again.  I understood that she is doing some experiments with the sounds from the lid.  She looked my face to learn whether I was noticing her new play.  Actually she wanted me to observe her.  So I spoke about her play while cooking.
Sara had not finished the play.  she took the lid and let it fall on variety of places.  On the carpet; on a paper; in a basket; in a cardboard box and on the kitchen chair.  She notice that the metal lid is making different noises when meeting with different kind of things.  though she could not explain about her experience she learnt some thing about noises and objects which make noises.  Yes, it was a good lesson for Sara.
Not only Sara,  toddlers all over the world learn many things through play activities like this.  As parents, what is our part here.  First we should understand and understand that these sort of activities are not time passing activities.  We should accept that toddlers are learning through these sort of activities.  Then we should observe our toddlers when they are playing like this.  Toddlers like to be observed when they are playing.  The last things is we should turn our conversation topic about their play activity.  That is a suitable time to introduce many new words.  Don't forget, security of your toddler is very important

No comments:

Post a Comment